Where Was I 5 Years Ago...

Where was I 5 Years Ago...

There is a loaded question...Not that I was in a bad place, but I will say that the summer of 2010 was one of the toughest for me personally.  This is not to say that I should be pitied by any means, but it was certainly an emotional time where I felt like nothing was going the way I had planned...

Ok...so my first child was born on New Year's Eve 2009/2010 and everything was perfect - or so it seemed - she was perfect anyway.  7 weeks in to my maternity leave my husband was laid off.  I know that 2010 was a crap time for the economy but seriously who lays off a guy with a 7 week old kid??  Anyway after feeling sorry for myself for a bit, I cheered up and just knew that he would find a new job very soon.  I decided to continue taking my 12 week leave and it would all work out.  I had worked as a waitress one or two nights a week up until I was 8 months pregnant, so I did some of that while I was on leave to help ends meet.

After heading back to work (so overwhelming by the way) and leaving the hubs to job hunt everyday day I started to lose hope.  It was really hard.  At that time I didn't have TPT, I didn't have my blog, and to be honest it wasn't something that I even liked to talk about with my friends.  

I worked throughout the summer at the restaurant - which was AMAZING to me BTW.  They made sure that I got enough hours, but that I was never working "too" much.  However, by the end of the summer I was depressed.  I was always working and I was looking at a new school year working 6-7 days a week while trying to be a mom (a new and first time mom at that).  It was tough.  

My always caring HUBS helped me by making some changes that allowed me to leave the restaurant (Even though they were amazing, I just couldn't take it all on).  He ended up being out of work for an entire year - until February 2011, but in the end it all worked out.  We never got into debt - miraculous right??  We never were behind on payments.  And probably most importantly of all we learned a lot.  That is NOT to say I would ever want to go through that again - I did learn a lot about me, my family, and how to manage money!

Now here I am 5 years later and pregnant again - 6 more weeks!  I would be lying if I told you that I wasn't nervous about it happening again (though I have no real reason to think it would).  However, I do know that I have grown and learned so much that whatever happens in the next 5 years we can deal with it!

2 comments:

  1. Hurray for you for getting through that tough time! I understand a little what that's like. My husband had health issues that kept him from driving for an entire year. Yeah. I had to somehow get my daughter to preschool, my husband to work, and myself to work and then get us all picked up. Well my principal decided to be extra awesome and allowed me to arrive 15-20 minutes late. Then my in-laws picked it up by being available whenever I had an after-school event- they picked up my child and husband for me. It was hard and stressful. Trying to keep my husband's spirits up were not easy. Oh yeah...and I was pregnant with no. 2! We are past that. He's driving again and I'm able to get to work on time with the awesome flexibility of my kid's daycare. God certainly knows how to challenge us! I hope the next 6 weeks are relaxed and that you enjoy your new little one!
    Shibahn
    Mrs. Landry's Land of Learning

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot to go through. Congrats on baby 2.

    ReplyDelete